folding adj : capable of being folded up and stored; "a foldaway bed" [syn: foldable, foldaway, folding(a)]
1 the process whereby a protein molecule assumes its intricate three-dimensional shape; "understanding protein folding is the next step in deciphering the genetic code" [syn: protein folding]
2 the act of folding; "he gave the napkins a double fold" [syn: fold]
- Rhymes: -əʊldɪŋ
- Designed to fold; as a folding bed, a folding chair, etc.
- The action of folding; a fold.
- present participle of fold
Fold may refer to:
- Above the fold, a graphic design concept originating in newspapers
- Fold (from the Saxon "falod") meaning a staked-off pasture area (e.g. Sheepfold, an enclosure for sheep) and used in place names such as the Fold Villages.
- Catastrophe theory#Fold catastrophe, one of the most basic objects in singularity theory.
- -fold, a suffix added to a cardinal number signifying "multiplied by"
- skin fold
- In computing:
- Fold (higher-order function), a family of higher-order functions in functional computer programming
- Fold (Unix), a program in the GNU Core Utilities
Fold or folding may refer to:
- folding, in poker, the act of withdrawing from a hand rather than meeting the bet
folding (see also below under Mathematics)
- origami, the art of paper folding
- pattern welding, the folding of metal
- Folding in cooking refers to a gentle mixing technique, somewhere between a cutting motion and a stirring motion, used to incorporate ingredients into a batter or other mixture, such as for a cake.
- Folding (Book folding) in the publishing process refers to the folding of the pages of the book, after printing and before binding
- In science:
- in computer
- case folding is a term denoting the conversion of all characters in a string to lower- or upper-case
- code or text folding (as in a folding editor for folding code or text)
- In functional languages folding refers to processing some data structure and accumulating a result.
- Mathematics of paper folding
- folding (chemistry) or intramolecular self-assembly of molecules to assume a specific shape
- in computer programming:
- Aliasing#Folding, as used in signal processing
folding in Danish: Fold
folding in French: Folding
folding in Simple English: Folding